Each year the Playford Trust offers two PhD scholarships for students planning to carry out research in its priority areas. The scholarships are intended to supplement an existing Australian Government Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship (RTPS) or similar institutional PhD stipend scholarship.
The scholarships are valued at $17,500 and are paid at the rate of $5000 per annum for three-and-a-half years.
The Trust will accept an application for an extension of time, subject to satisfactory progress and appropriate support from the university and the PhD supervisor. Approval of such an extension is not automatic.
Applications for the 2020 scholarships close Friday 17 January 2020.
The Playford Trust will consider nominations from students studying at one of the three South Australian universities. The Playford Trust will make the final selection based on the following selection criteria:
Applicants must be:
- ready to commence a PhD with The University of Adelaide, Flinders University or University of South Australia in the following priority areas for the Trust;
- agriculture and food production
- water, energy and climate change
- advanced manufacturing and new technologies
- health sciences and enabling technologies
- mining and resources development
- primarily supported by an Australian Government Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship (RTPS) or similar institutional PhD stipend scholarship. A copy of the letter of confirmation is required by the Trust before the scholarship can be awarded
- an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa, and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia or are likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.
Disclosure of any other awards or scholarships held by the student is required as part of the application process.