The Playford Trust, in partnership with the three South Australian Universities, offers a total of 12 scholarships of $5000 each annually to South Australians intending to study at Honours level in the priority areas of the Trust.
Four scholarships allocated to each of the three universities.
Students must be undertaking an Honours degree with the University of Adelaide, Flinders University or University of South Australia in the following priority areas for the Trust:
- agriculture and food production
- water, energy and climate change
- advanced manufacturing and new technologies
- health sciences and enabling technologies
- mining and resources development.
Applications for the 2020 scholarships close Friday 17 January 2020.
- ready to commence Honours with the University of Adelaide, Flinders University or University of South Australia in the priority areas for the Trust
- an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia, or be likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
Being awarded an Honours scholarship does not preclude recipients from applying for a Playford Trust PhD scholarship. Students undertaking an MPhil instead of Honours will also be considered for scholarships.
The Trust will also consider a case where the university feels that a particular student has had to overcome a significant disadvantage that may have affected, to some degree, their academic record. In such instances, as part of the recommendation process, the university should indicate the nature of the disadvantage and make a case for its confidence in the ultimate success of the student in making an impact in their chosen field.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.
Disclosure of any other awards or scholarships held by the student is required.