Fourth-year or Honours scholarships
The Playford Trust in collaboration with the Adelaide Branch of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM), offer three Minerals Industry scholarships annually.
AusIMM is the peak body for people working in the resources sector. The AusIMM shape careers, develop leaders, create communities and uphold standards.
The AusIMM was founded in 1893 and operates under a Royal Charter. It has an international network of branches and societies, and influential partnerships across industry, education, government and the community. It shapes careers by providing exceptional professional development opportunities, including world-class technical conferences, leadership events, online learning and industry news.
Through its outstanding membership program, the AusIMM creates communities that connect and support people at all stages of their career. Leading by example, AusIMM is committed to improving our sector’s environmental, social and economic outcomes for generations to come. It represents over 13,000 members drawn from all sections of the industry and includes Mining, Geological, Geotechnical, Chemical, Metallurgical, Environmental, Financial, Legal, Mechanical, Electrical and Health & Safety Engineers & Scientists.
Each scholarship is valued at $9000 for one year. Scholarships are available to outstanding students at a South Australian university entering a full time:
- Honours year in Geoscience
- 4th year in Mining Engineering
- 4th year in Chemical Engineering (Minerals Processing)
- 4th year in Environmental Engineering
Applications for these scholarships are made through the AusIMM Education Endowment Fund (EEF) Scholarship Program, and recipients of AusIMM/Playford Trust Minerals Industry Scholarships are selected by the Adelaide Branch of the AusIMM and the Playford Trust in conjunction with this EEF Program process.
As well as demonstrating a high level of academic achievement, successful applicants are encouraged to be actively involved with the university AusIMM Student Chapter. Recipients should not concurrently hold any other major scholarship, although this does not exclude submission of an application.
Additional information is also available through the relevant university departments and from the AusIMM Adelaide Branch website.
A panel with representatives from the Playford Trust and AusIMM will make the final selection.
The panel’s decison will be based on the following:
- Students are Australian citizens or a holder of a permanent resident visa, and are South Australian residents who are likely to further their career in the South Australian minerals industry or are likely to provide a benefit to the State.
- Students are high achievers with an excellent undergraduate academic record.
- Students are of good character with preference given to students who display leadership potential
- Students considering further studies/research post-Honours are encouraged to apply.
- Students should not concurrently hold any other major scholarship, although this does not preclude submission of an application.
- The scholarship holders must maintain full time enrolment in the Bachelor of Science Honours degree, the Mining Engineering, Chemical Engineering (Mineral Processing), or Environmental Engineering degree with major studies or a research project relevant to the minerals industry and apply for Student Membership of the AusIMM.
The scholarships are intended to assist students who have potential to become leaders in the minerals industry, and demonstrate wide ranging abilities, good communications skills, organisation skills and the potential to become good managers. Applicants who are involved in student and community activities will demonstrate some or all of these attributes.