HONOURS SCHOLARSHIP IN EARTH SCIENCES
The Playford Trust, in partnership with the South Australian Division of the Geological Society of Australia (GSA), offers a $5000 scholarship annually to an outstanding student entering a full-time Honours year in earth sciences at a South Australian university.
GSA was established as a non-profit learned organisation in 1952 to promote, advance and support Earth Sciences in Australia. Members come from minerals and petroleum industries, government departments, research and education institutions and consultancy groups.
Applications for the 2019 scholarship close Friday 18 January 2019.
The Playford Trust will consider nominations from students studying at one of the three South Australian universities, and reserves the right to accept or reject any or all of the nominations. The GSA-SA Division and the Playford Trust will jointly make the final selection. The decision will be based on an assessment of the following:
Applicants must be:
- ready to commence full time Honours in earth sciences at any one of the three universities
- an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia, or be likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
Consideration will also be given to the following, although students are not precluded from applying based on these criteria.
- can demonstrate they are considering further studies/research post-Honours
- do not concurrently hold any other major industry-related scholarship.
Students are encouraged to be members of the GSA.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.