Defence Science and Technology Group
In partnership with the Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG), the Playford Trust offers three PhD Scholarships. The scholarships are valued at $35,000 and are paid at the rate of $10,000 per annum for three-and-a-half years.
DSTG is the Australian Government’s lead agency dedicated to providing science and technology support for the Australian Defence Force under the leadership of the Chief Defence Scientist. DSTG is Australia’s largest publicly funded science agency after the CSIRO.
Scholarship holders may be offered work experience such as vacation employment, an internship, site visits and attendance at in house seminars. The Department of Defence will discuss any potential work experience directly with scholarship holders.
The scholarships are intended to supplement an existing Australian Government Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship (RTPS) or similar institutional PhD stipend scholarship.
Students must be undertaking their research with the University of Adelaide, Flinders University or the University of South Australia in the following priority areas for Defence:
- Space and defence technology
- Health sciences and enabling technologies
Students must be commencing their PhD in the year of the scholarship or have commenced their PhD no earlier than August of the preceding year.
The Trust will accept an application for an extension of time, subject to satisfactory progress and appropriate support from the university and the PhD supervisor. Approval of such an extension is not automatic.
The Playford Trust will consider nominations from students studying at one of the three South Australian universities. The Playford Trust will make the final selection with the Defence Science and Technology Group based on the following selection criteria:
Applicants must be:
- ready to commence a PhD with The University of Adelaide, Flinders University or University of South Australia in the priority areas for the Defence – Space and defence technology and Health sciences and enabling technologies
- primarily supported by an Australian Government Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship (RTPS) or similar institutional PhD stipend scholarship. A copy of the letter of confirmation is required by the Trust before the scholarship can be awarded
- an Australian citizen and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia or are likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
DSTG is committed to gender equity and inclusion and encourages all eligible students to apply.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.
Disclosure of any other awards or scholarships held by the student is required as part of the application process.