The Playford Trust, in partnership with Coopers, offers a $7000 Honours scholarship at the Waite Research Institute in the field of barley breeding science or yeast fermentation.
Coopers Brewery, headquartered in Adelaide, is the largest fully Australian-owned brewery. Established in 1862 by Thomas Cooper, the company is now run by fifth generation descendant Dr Tim Cooper, as Managing Director and Chief Brewer.
Coopers now accounts for approximately five per cent of the national beer market, and is renowned for its unique premium quality ales, stout and lagers. Coopers is also the world’s largest producer of home-brew concentrates.
Applications for the 2020 scholarships have now closed.
The Playford Trust will consider student nominations from the Waite Research Institute and reserves the right to accept or reject any or all of the nominations. Coopers Brewery and the Playford Trust will make the final selection. Nominations must be through the online application process.
The panel’s decision will be based on an assessment of the following selection criteria:
Applicants must be:
- ready to commence Honours at the Waite Research Institute in the field of barley breeding science or yeast fermentation
- an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia, or be likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.