Third or Fourth Year or Honours Scholarship
The Playford Trust in partnership with Codan, offers a $10,000 scholarship for an outstanding student commencing third-year, fourth-year or Honours in electronic engineering, signal processing or physics, and having an interest in sensing systems.
Codan designs and develops innovative electronics based products used the world over. Codan has its corporate headquarters here in Adelaide but is a global company with 17 offices around the world.
In Adelaide, Minelab (one of Codan’s business units) designs high performance metal detectors used in landmine clearance, gold prospecting or hunting for relics; and Codan Tactical Communications designs high frequency radio equipment used to maintain voice and data communications in harsh military environments. Outside of Australia, Codan Communications develop products used to support public safety, security and television broadcast systems.
The successful applicant for this scholarship will have the opportunity to undertake paid work experience at Codan. The aim is to help the student develop skills and knowledge and enhance their industry experience. They will work on projects in a collaborative environment, actively contributing and drawing on the experience of others. The type of work to be undertaken – and level of commitment – will be negotiated between the successful student and the company.
We recommend you begin your application as soon as possible and complete as much as you can this year. This allows the Trust to give your name to Codan early.
The Trust will consider nominations from students studying at one of the three South Australian universities, and reserves the right to accept or reject any or all of the nominations.
Codan and the Playford Trust will jointly make the final selection.
Applicants must be:
- ready to commence third or fourth year or Honours and studying electronics, signal processing or physics, at one of South Australia’s three universities
- seeking a career in analogue electronics, electromagnetism or radio frequency electronics
- an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa and resident in South Australia
- intending to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia, or be likely to provide a benefit to the State
- a high achiever, with an excellent undergraduate academic record
- of good character. Preference will be given to students who display leadership potential.
Preference will be given to students who are innovative and collaborative and share the values that drive Codan’s culture of excellence – can-do; high performing; customer driven; openness and integrity.
It is essential that the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (e.g. dean of school/faculty, or lecturer) provides a supporting comment about the student’s achievements, character and leadership potential.