The Playford Trust in collaboration with the Adelaide Branch of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM), offer three Minerals Industry scholarships annually.
Founded in 1893, the AusIMM provides leadership, support and development opportunities to minerals industry professionals engaged in all facets of the global minerals sector. It represents over 14,000 members drawn from all sections of the industry and includes Mining, Geological, Geotechnical, Chemical, Metallurgical, Environmental, and Health & Safety Engineers & Scientists.
The AusIMM is supported by a network of branches, student chapters and societies in Australasia and internationally.
Each scholarship is valued at $7,000 for one year. Scholarships are available to outstanding students at a South Australian university entering a full time:
- Honours year in Geoscience
- 4th year in Mining Engineering
- 4th year in Chemical Engineering (Minerals Processing)
Applications for these scholarships are made through the AusIMM Education Endowment Fund (EEF) Scholarship Program. Recipients of AusIMM/Playford Trust Minerals Industry Scholarships are selected via this EEF Program process. Applications close Friday 22 September 2017.
As well as demonstrating a high level of academic achievement, successful applicants are encouraged to be actively involved with the university AusIMM Student Chapter. Recipients should not concurrently hold any other major scholarship, although this does not exclude submission of an application.
Information is also available through the relevant university departments and from the AusIMM Adelaide Branch website.
A panel with representatives from the Playford Trust and AusIMM will make the final selection. The panel’s decision will be based on an assessment of the following:
- Students are Australian citizens or a holder of a permanent resident visa, and are South Australian residents who are likely to further their career in the South Australian minerals industry or are likely to provide a benefit to the State.
- Students are high achievers with an excellent undergraduate academic record.
- Students are of good character with preference given to students who display leadership potential.
- Students considering further studies/research post-Honours are encouraged to apply.
- Students should not concurrently hold any other major scholarship, although this does not preclude submission of an application.
- The scholarship holders must maintain full time enrolment in the Bachelor of Science Honours degree, the Mining Engineering or the Chemical Engineering (Mineral Processing) degree with major studies or a research project relevant to the minerals industry and apply for Student Membership of the AusIMM.
The scholarships are intended to assist students who have potential to become leaders in the minerals industry, and demonstrate wide ranging abilities, good communications skills, organisation skills and the potential to become good managers. Applicants who are involved in student and community activities will demonstrate some or all of these attributes.
Applications for these scholarships are made through the AusIMM Education Endowment Fund (EEF) Scholarship Program opening in July and closing in September of each year. Recipients of AusIMM/Playford Trust Minerals Industry Scholarships are selected via this EEF Program process.