Open Gardens SA / Playford Trust / TAFE SA Awards
In partnership with Open Gardens South Australia, the Playford Trust offers up to three (3) awards of $2000 each for TAFE SA students studying Horticulture (horticulture, arboriculture, landscape construction, production horticulture, landscape design) and Conservation and Land Management.
These awards provide support to those interested in a career in gardens and who will inspire an interest in gardens in others.
Successful students will be asked to share their experience with Open Gardens SA and talk about how they have been able to use the award to further their career, or foster an interest in gardens, and about their future aspirations.
While students are open to apply at any stage of their TAFE studies, preference will be given to students who:
- have completed at least ONE semester of relevant study, or
- can demonstrate personal and/or professional growth through studying at TAFE SA or elsewhere in the Vocational Education and Training sector.
Applications open in August 2021.
The application form is the same for both the Playford Trust/TAFE SA Awards and the Open Gardens SA/Playford Trust/TAFE SA Awards.
Applicants for the Open Gardens SA Awards are required to answer the one additional specific question that appears at the end of the form.
A panel of representatives from the Playford Trust and TAFE SA, in consultation with Open Gardens SA, will make the final selection based on an assessment of the following:
- Commitment to the issues directly related to the course of study
- Excellent demonstrated understanding of the course of study
- The ability to work in a team and provide leadership
- Excellent work ethic and attitude to learning
- Verbal evidence provided by referee contacts. It is essential applicants provide TWO referee contact details from lecturers/employers for the panel to contact
- Applicants eligible for the Open Gardens SA/Playford Trust/TAFE SA Award will also be asked to describe their interest in gardens, how they are developing this through their education and/or training or personal activities, how they will progress their career in the garden sector, and how they might aim to inspire an interest in gardens in others.
Open Gardens SA may meet with students as part of the selection process.
To be eligible for these awards, students must be an Australian citizen or a holder of a permanent resident visa, and resident in South Australia.